Dougplanet

HOME : ABOUT : TUTORIALS : GALLERY : STUFF

Sep 20, 2007

Fair Vote Canada

Vote for MMP

For those who follow my occasional ramblings, it should be clear that I'm interested in politics (sometimes 'para' politics to be sure), and this is one of those posts.

On October 10 2007 there's provincial election here in Ontario. This time round, there will be a second option on the ballot, and that is to change the electoral system. Instead of a "First Past The Post" system, which is de rigeur in North America, we have the option to CHANGE that to a version of Proportional Representation called Mixed Member, or MMP for short.

I'm all for it. MMP would level the playing field by giving proper representation to political parties that have a consistent support, but who's voices are stifled by the old guard. This encourages a more direct democracy and (I would hope) actually engage more people in the political process.

I've been following Fair Vote Canada for some time now, and their site has a number of links about proportional representation issues, from a supportive point of view. You can also check out the wikipedia entry.

HOME : ABOUT : TUTORIALS : GALLERY : STUFF